Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whopper Sacrifice (Facebook)

Go down

Whopper Sacrifice (Facebook) Empty Whopper Sacrifice (Facebook)

Post  Piotr Maniak Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:44 pm

I was just reading a different post about crazes that are going around on facebook and i remember the whopper sacrifice that happened a couple of months ago. For those of you that don't know what the whopper sacrifice is, here's a CNet article describing it, link. Basically you add this application to your facebook and delete ten of your "friends" after that is complete you get sent with a coupon for a free whopper, so each of these friends are worth 10% of a whopper to you.

I guess the whopper sacrifice just illustrates how many of the people we have on these social networks aren't real friends of ours but sometimes acquaintances or those that we have met only once in our life. So many of us were willing to drop them of our list and send them a message saying they are worth 10% of a whopper to us. I never understood those people that have over 1,000 friends on their facebook, I'm sure they met half of them only once or twice. I just accept those that I am friends with or have spoken to on several occasions and ignore other requests. I don't want strangers snooping through all the pictures I have posted on there, it's not like the know me anyway.

Its an online social networking phenomenon that people so readily accept others as their friends. Look at twitter, you basically receive messages from someone that seems interesting to you but you have never met nor spoken to. Most of us would never want to receive phone calls from complete strangers on a daily or hourly basis just so they can update us on their status.

For the record, 233,906 friends were deemed worthy of only 10% a whopper. If you were one of them, go to the site http://www.whoppersacrifice.com/ and send that person who deleted you an "angry-gram".

Piotr Maniak

Back to top Go down