Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Secret Stories... soul of the internet

2 posters

Go down

The Web's Secret Stories... soul of the internet Empty The Web's Secret Stories... soul of the internet

Post  SBonthu Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Link: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_harris_tells_the_web_s_secret_stories.html

Here's a new kind of social network...
Connecting people through blogs, grouping people thinking at one place, where acts of self expression form the soul of the internet. Jonathan Harris talks about the footprints that tell stories of their moments of self-expression.

I am personally a huge fan of all the talks at TED, and just watching this particular one alone is enough said. The visual graphics are excellent and he makes several interesting points, some we are an active part of, but do not clearly see until some one else has put them into words...

Harris talks about the network where people can connect with each other and find comfort without even knowing it. He talks about how you can find out so much about people merely by their blog posts and experience their emotions and thoughts. You can even click on that particular person and connect with the user if you feel some degree on empathy, if you will.

Harris' website then groups everything to give you interesting facts about the world based on people's blog posts that day.

"We can see that the world is feeling used 3.3 times more than normal today."

Thousands of feelings are collected, and there is a search capability that allows you to connect to users through their comments, geographical locations, the weather at that point, and groups all these ideas to form collective thoughts.

Once you've watched the talk, check out his website here: http://universe.daylife.com/

It really is about connecting the world...

SBonthu

Back to top Go down

The Web's Secret Stories... soul of the internet Empty RE: The Web's Secret Stories... soul of the internet

Post  Lauren Victory Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Very cool video. I really like how he tied what we are learning into art, makes it easier to understand. Kind of made me thing of my junior high obsession with www.postsecret.com Sometimes people post funny "secrets," other times they post really intense things. I always wondered if it was possible to trace back to the people themselves. Like what if someone posted something suicidal?

Like some of the people who commented on this video, I agree that a program like the one this guy is talking about could potentially be abused. A lot of times people don't think when they post things and don't take into account that they can always be traced (at least this is what my mom tells me). But they are posting it on the Internet for the purposes of being anonymous. How would they like to know they are being analyzed and discussed? Not cool.

BUT I still think the program is really cool. Sooo, you can't win.

Lauren Victory

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum