Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game theory in the international economic world

Go down

Game theory in the international economic world Empty Game theory in the international economic world

Post  Lauren Victory Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:08 pm

I found a speech from yesterday by the president of "Banque Centrale Européenne" on his take of the economic crisis in the world. In it he talks about game theory.

Here's the link: http://www.edubourse.com/finance/actualites.php?actu=52759

Here's the part that especially relates to our course:

"Before going into detail, allow me to say that the crisis has brought out the best in terms of international cooperation. Leading central banks around the globe, including the Bank of Japan and the ECB, have cooperated intimately to alleviate financing strains in interbank markets. Governor Shirakawa and I had numerous useful exchanges of views on the sidelines of our regular meetings at the G-7, G-20 levels and, more importantly, in the occasion of the global economy meeting of central bank governors which takes place every two months in Basel. In the language of game theory, one could say that major central banks are closely cooperating to deliver the best possible outcome for the global economy. "

To achieve this outcome (fixing this economic crisis) and for international cooperation to work in terms of this course, there needs to be a structural balance as we discussed in class. We are speaking about a global financial system, but it is obviously not a concrete one--there is no world government. The problem with this simple explanation is there is a lot of tension regarding oversight of different countries. To call for international supervision and regulation as the president does further on in his speech, is a great suggestion but with positive and negative relationships all over the system, that may be a bit hard to do peacefully...or ever.

Lauren Victory

Back to top Go down