Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google Bombing

3 posters

Go down

Google Bombing Empty Google Bombing

Post  Scott Tuttle Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:03 pm

Kind of like the quiz question, here's an article that talks about manipulating page rank to have unrelated content linked when you search for a keyword on Google.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1868395.stm

My favorite continues to be searching for "French Military Victories" and hitting I'm feeling lucky. Google then asks if you meant "French military defeats"

Scott Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Google Bombing Empty Re: Google Bombing

Post  Dave Sexton Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:31 pm

It’s truly amazing how much time and effort has to be put forth to keep people from trying to “break” a good thing. I remember learning in one of my introductory programming classes that an extremely high percentage of the coding done in most software applications is the handling of exceptions and errors while the part that actually “does” something is very small in comparison. As far as the PageRank goes, I’m sure there is a lot of time put forth to try to keep people from fooling it rather than trying to make it better. It would be interesting to know how much time is spent protecting Google’s algorithm rather than moving it forward.

Dave Sexton

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Brenner Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 pm

That article didn't mention "French Military Victories," so how do you know it is a Google bomb instead of just the best page for the job?

Also, it's not Google asking you if you meant defeats, but that is pretty funny.

I basically never use I'm Feeling Lucky, but I just read that it
costs Google $110 million a year as 1% of all searches use this feature and bypass all advertising
on Wikipedia and noticed that it is harder to use now from the main Google page since the search suggestions block the button.

Stephen Brenner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down