Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BlogRank v PageRank

2 posters

Go down

BlogRank v PageRank Empty BlogRank v PageRank

Post  Zi Wang Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 am

According to this article, the pagerank algorithm does not work very well on blogs because blogs "are not knitted together with hyperlinks in the same way as the rest of the web". An enhanced algorithm, BlogRank, geared toward blog search exploiting blog posts' structural characteristics is introduced in the article. Yet BlogRank is not perfect either. As the author of the article puts it, "It may be some time before we get a search engine that does half as good a job for blogs as it does for the rest of the web."

Zi Wang

Back to top Go down

BlogRank v PageRank Empty Re: BlogRank v PageRank

Post  Piotr Maniak Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:38 am

I think the concept seems pretty good. If someone is searching for a particular information that perhaps a blog explains well, chances are PageRank wouldn't list it as one of the best sites, even if it is linked to, just because its a blog. However, if you talk all the blogs on average, I'm sure a bunch of them are written by people who just like to write w/e their mind comes up with. Chances are, many blogs are very little to no value for those that are searching for something. Blogs like perezhilton are probably not a great source of news commentary compared to something like the huffingtonpost. Based on the PageRank algorithm, neither of them would emerge as a top site to visit, even though a lot the news media hold the huffingtonpost with high regards.

To sum it all up, the PageRank algorithm doesn't rank blogs very well but unless you are specifically looking for a blog posts, most of the blogs out there are by regular people writing whatever they please, so it doesn't seem worth figuring out an algorithm that also takes into account good blog site. I guess it is better just to have another search engine that is made specifically for blog searches, that provides a ranking for good blog sites.

Piotr Maniak

Back to top Go down