Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game theory Steroids

2 posters

Go down

Game theory Steroids Empty Game theory Steroids

Post  Eric DeFeo Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 pm

This article is interesting, because it discusses the use of steroids in baseball from a game theory point of view. Although we talked about this in class, I like this article because it talks about getting over a certain edge to be in the majors. That is, the payoffs are different for every player. Therefore, some will be more likely to use steroids than others. Perhaps the players that are naturally talented enough to never have to worry about playing in the minors won't want to use steroids, where as those who would not have a chance to play in the major leagues would be very prone to using steroids. I'm not sure this plays out completely with examples, but it is an interesting thought.

http://apurvadesai.com/2009/02/25/steroids-and-game-theory/

Eric DeFeo

Back to top Go down

Game theory Steroids Empty Re: Game theory Steroids

Post  stseng Sun May 10, 2009 10:22 pm

It's interesting to see that the payoff matrix doesn't even include repercussions or punishment from the MLB as disadvantages. In fact, this was probably the reality in the past. Most of what Jose Canseco pointed out turned out to be true and if he's right again, then Bud Selig and Co. really did turn a blind eye to steroid use. Now that baseball's drug policies are more strict (although still lagging behind some international standards), baseball players will definitely need to include punishment in their payoff matrix and that will likely turn them off of steroid use and other performance enhancing drug use. However, it's still interesting to see how easy Alex Rodriguez seemed to get off the hook not too long ago. We'll get to see how Manny Ramirez is treated in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure all MLB players are watching closely, not only at the 50-game suspension but also at the effect on Manny's reputation. Whatever happens will change the players' payoff matrix and ultimately, their decisions on drug use.

stseng

Back to top Go down