Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Theory and Relationships

3 posters

Go down

Game Theory and Relationships Empty Game Theory and Relationships

Post  KatieBradford Mon May 11, 2009 12:04 am

http://thoughtstreak.wordpress.com/major-old-posts/applying-game-theory-into-everyday-life/

This article talks about the theories used in games to determine and predict outcomes and pay offs applied to real life situations, particularly relationships. For example, when deciding a movie either you could agree on a movie or one could win their choice while the other is unhappy. Even in terms of breaking up one has to choose between staying together and potentially being happy and enjoying the relationship more or breaking up on their terms and moving on or risking theo ther person breaking up with them etc. There are some interesting applications of game theory as well as a flow chart of decision making of the "players" in a realtionship to help illustrate the point in the above link.

KatieBradford

Back to top Go down

Game Theory and Relationships Empty Battle of the Sexes: Game Theory

Post  Brooke Stanislawski Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 am

http://www.gametheory.net/dictionary/games/BattleoftheSexes.html

Drawing from the previous comment about relationships, game theory offers an interesting analysis of the Battle of the Sexes, a symmetric game that is similar to the prisoner's dilemma we examined in class. In this game, the man prefers to attend one event while the wife prefers to attend another while both prefer being together as opposed to being apart. The difference between a symmetric game and other games represented in bi-matrices is this condition of them both preferring to be together rather than spending time apart.

Brooke Stanislawski

Back to top Go down

Game Theory and Relationships Empty play for the future

Post  tjhannemann Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 am

All the games we've played so far have been play-once games.

With relationships, depending on which movie you choose, you might not get to play again. If you play your cards right, and the date goes well, you might get a shot at some sort of bonus round.

If I cheat on my test, I get a better grade, but the more I cheat the more likely I am to get caught. Then I get kicked out of college and can't cheat anymore.

How do we analyze games with an indefinite number of rounds?

tjhannemann

Back to top Go down

Game Theory and Relationships Empty Re: Game Theory and Relationships

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down