Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decentralized search engines?

3 posters

Go down

Decentralized search engines? Empty Decentralized search engines?

Post  Lalith Polepeddi Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:04 pm

This post is more of a question than presenting a topic. In class this week we have been learning about decentralized searches and how people in social networks can quickly find the shortest path because of scales of resolution. I’m wondering whether the same idea can be applied to searching the web. Google does a great job of navigating the Internet, but it’s PageRank algorithm doesn’t exactly utilize the inherent structure of the Internet in a decentralized way. So my question is this: can a search algorithm be developed to find the shortest path between a user’s query and the target search results by using the decentralized search math we learned this week? Would this allow users to find more relevant results to their queries?

Lalith Polepeddi

Back to top Go down

Decentralized search engines? Empty Developing a Grid-Based Search and Categorization Tool

Post  Timothy Hannemann Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:46 pm

http://library.cern.ch/HEPLW/8/papers/1/

This is kind of confusing, but it's relevant. These researchers are attempting to do just that: build a decentralized search engine.

"The goal of the project is to build a tool capable of searching and automatically categorizing vast amounts of geographically distributed information, which in many cases could not be searched effectively, if at all, by a centralized search engine such as those available on the web."

The researchers are trying to use a grid system that resembles the social network grids that professor Immorlica explained in class.

Timothy Hannemann

Back to top Go down

Decentralized search engines? Empty Resembling AI?

Post  KingTut Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 am

Efficient Decentralised searching is the toughest task facing programmers today.

http://www.tech-faq.com/swarm-intelligence.shtml

Swarm intelligence seems to be the best theoretical way of searching - and google seems to use it tangentially in conducting its searching. I think that if a computer system could do decentralised searching without flooding a network with queries efficiently, it would have to resemble human intelligence. I can point to the homework question as an example where we had to find a path from one word to a target word. It was difficult! Can a computer find the most efficient route? I had to think ahead several steps and take into account several "random" links as explained in class.

I would think the best app for a thing like facebook would be one where you type in a start person and a target person and ask the app to find a most efficient route between the two.

KingTut

Back to top Go down

Decentralized search engines? Empty Re: Decentralized search engines?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down