Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pranksters use information cascade?

2 posters

Go down

Pranksters use information cascade? Empty Pranksters use information cascade?

Post  stseng Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 pm

This is a video that gave me a good laugh a couple of years ago. The video shows a group of "friends" who prank one of their buddies who falls asleep during a road trip. I'll let you all watch the video to see the exciting conclusion!

It wasn't until yesterday's lecture did I realize that the pranksters used the power of information cascade to pull off this trick, whether they were aware of it or not. The unfortunate individual ignored the information that was right in front of him and decided to use the misinformation spread from his friends. Fortunately for us, this gives us a very entertaining YouTube video. Enjoy!

stseng

Back to top Go down

Pranksters use information cascade? Empty Pranks & Cascades

Post  Philip Goins Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:41 pm

Pranks can utilize information cascades very effectively. The link I am adding is a youtube video with several pranks done abroad. Some of these pranks are very similar to the information cascade experiment Stanley Milgram performed with the sky staring experiment (although these are mildly funnier). The most telling one is the last one shown, which shows how people react the way other people before them do, because they judge their information own to be incomplete compared to the crowd's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbEiGa8kPk

Philip Goins

Back to top Go down