Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox

3 posters

Go down

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox Empty The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox

Post  Carlos Calegari Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Why does there appear to be a shortage of available appealing men? It would seem that there should be the same amount of available appealing men as there are women. This article uses game theory and auctions to explain why this is not the case. Their argument is based on the fact that it is actually the women who choose their mates, not the men.

http://www.slate.com/id/2188684/?GT1=38001

Carlos Calegari

Back to top Go down

The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox Empty Re: The Eligible-Bachelor Paradox

Post  Vanessa Huerta Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 am

I am not sure if I completely understand it, but if everyone (both weak and strong bidders-desirable and not as desirable partners) bid aggressively then in the end the strong bidders end up married younger to the 'good husbands' while those weak bidders end up having to keep bidding for a longer period of time and end up with a more unwanted mate?
My dad always told me to just settle.

Vanessa Huerta

Back to top Go down

Post  Monil Gandhi Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:55 am

The game theory argument is interesting, but I have heard of other thoughts on this argument. Perhaps the most convincing is that males are preferred in many cultures (China, India) and so those countries have a higher number of males. This is especially true of China because of the one-child policy. this leaves whole towns of just males as older generations of women die out without daughters to replace them. Sad, but a reality nonetheless.

The game theory spin was definitely interesting, and I agree with the assumption that women are those who select their mate in many instances.

Monil Gandhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down