Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WSJ - On the Street and On Facebook: The Homeless Stay Wired

2 posters

Go down

WSJ - On the Street and On Facebook: The Homeless Stay Wired Empty WSJ - On the Street and On Facebook: The Homeless Stay Wired

Post  Eric Chang Sun May 31, 2009 4:07 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124363359881267523.html

The digital lifestyle of one homeless man shows how deeply computers and the Internet have permeated society.

So I suppose even in the worst case scenario, even if you're homeless, you still have the internet! (in San Francisco...)

WSJ indulges an interesting tale of a homeless programmer and how he still lives a life on the streets. He has a Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter account. He also runs a forum, too!

Amazing how the unfortunate still have a chance to connect to the internet even in poverty.

People can still connect to the world and be digitally connected/related in that sense.
Eric Chang
Eric Chang

Back to top Go down

WSJ - On the Street and On Facebook: The Homeless Stay Wired Empty Re: WSJ - On the Street and On Facebook: The Homeless Stay Wired

Post  adamp Sun May 31, 2009 4:24 pm

I think this is pretty awesome. But to me it leads to more socially-minded concerns. As the Internet represents a larger and larger proportion of people's everyday interactions, is there some point at which it becomes a person's right to have Internet access?

adamp

Back to top Go down