Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse

3 posters

Go down

Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse Empty Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse

Post  Zi Wang Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 am

One can only have a limited number of dates, so what is the optimal strategy of marrying the best mate possible? This interesting article sets up a mathematical model for the "dating game" and studies several possible strategies of proposing. It turns out the the optimal one is the so-called "The Nagger's Strategy": "I'm going to propose my M1. If they reject, I'll propose to M2. If they reject I'll propose to my M1 again. If rejected I'll propose to M2 again. Then M3. Then M1, M2, M3, and then M4. Then again, M1, M2, M3, M4, and then M5. And so on. When I'm out of M's, I'll date a new player and recalculate my ordered list. Then I'll repeat from the beginning." It is optimal because "it gives you the best chances of marrying the best person that will marry you. If no one on your list will marry you, it allows for you to expand your list, without abandoning hope that one day you'll tie the knot with your M1." Well, a nagger indeed.

Last edited by Zi Wang on Mon May 04, 2009 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Zi Wang

Back to top Go down

Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse Empty Re: Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse

Post  patrickmccoy Mon May 04, 2009 12:46 am

That may be the best way to do it in theory, but it doesn't take into account that the first person would get mad at you for asking so many times that they would just stop talking to you all together, thus eliminating your chances of marrying them altogether.

Game theory can predict a lot, but certainly not every human contribution to a game.

patrickmccoy

http://www.pjmccoy.com

Back to top Go down

Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse Empty Re: Applying Game Theory to Win a Spouse

Post  mrv528 Mon May 04, 2009 12:58 am

I agree. I think that one thing that game theory really does not take into account is human nature. Dating depends entirely on the different people in the set of possible mates, their personalities, standards, backgrounds etc. It is hard to define "the best" person to marry because everyone is different.

mrv528

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down