Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mathmematics of Dating

5 posters

Go down

The Mathmematics of Dating Empty The Mathmematics of Dating

Post  Matt Dolph Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 pm

This article is a very in depth analysis of understanding the "find a spouse" problem. This article is especially interesting since the assumptions they make are a little bit different than in our in class 1930's style model which makes it a little bit more realistic to the modern world. The article also focuses more on the strategies of the game than the actual matching of a bipartite graph allowing it to again be a more realistic look at the way people will actually play this game.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/465911/the_mathematics_of_dating_applying.html?cat=41

Matt Dolph

Back to top Go down

The Mathmematics of Dating Empty Re: The Mathmematics of Dating

Post  Vanessa Huerta Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 am

We didn't get that far in the dating model we had in class, but does it allow for trying again with the same person? in which case the optimal strategy in the article could also be useful. I liked the article and thought it was pretty funny, more realistic that our model but still not like real life. I liked how they took into account the fact that not everyone knows each other therefore they have not ranked every single person so you can only propose to a few.

Vanessa Huerta

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Chang Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:17 am

A complementary article that goes well what was discussed in class last week about marriage. We see that for the guys for the model in class that they have the advantageous strategy according to this stringent method of proposal and marriage. They have more to choose from and are the most satisfied in the equilibrium.

As for the article, I have to say though, these seven strategies gave me a chuckle. It's a very interesting way to analyze how the game theory of dating/relationships can be used and applied to her lives. Perhaps I'll use these to my advantage knowing the game better when I'm with people.
Eric Chang
Eric Chang

Back to top Go down

Post  mrv528 Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:27 am

I agree that this model is more realistic, and ties in very well with our discussion of game theory and dating in class. It is hard to say how people value each other, if everyone is using different scales based on different things which are subject to change. It does not account for things like that.

I thought it was interesting in class how we talked about the 1930's model and men having the advantage. If both men and women are proposing to each other, then they would each get their best stable outcome? But that model can never account for human nature and the fact that the scales are always changing and are highly subjective to different situations.
I dont know how much I believe that this game theory dating model is actually played out in real life.

mrv528

Back to top Go down

Post  Tod Reynolds Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:39 am

I really enjoyed reading some of the "stratagies" involved in love mentioned. I find it especially humourous that the optimal stratagy, the naggers stratagy, is a combination of the desperate stratagy(which has a great connotation to it) and the stalkers stratagy where the most likely outcome is death or jail.

I think that one of the hard things to quantify discussed in the article is weather or not someone is an OP or a CP. This is something that will change throughout life as a person changes from one stratagy to another. One person who was originally a CP after many rejections under the idealistic love stratagy will probably change from CP to OP and modify there stratagy. As such the optimal opposing stratagy to many of the stratagies discussed could very easily get modified.

Tod Reynolds

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down