Northwestern Social Networks 101
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nash equilibrium in my attempts to play Super Smash Bros Brawl

Go down

Nash equilibrium in my attempts to play Super Smash Bros Brawl Empty Nash equilibrium in my attempts to play Super Smash Bros Brawl

Post  Brooke Stanislawski Sun May 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Excerpt from an article: In the rock-paper-scissors game, for instance, the Nash equilibrium involves players randomly picking each choice 1/3 of the time. If you favor rock more than 1/3 of the time, then your opponent can beat you more often than not by countering with paper.

http://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2007/11/20/game-theory-tuesdays-a-brain-teaser-and-related-trivia/

In the past few months, I have tried to learn and become a decent player in Super Smash Bros Brawl. First of all, I have never really played video games so using the controls to kill other players is quite a challenge. I have noticed that after the period of just pressing buttons to see what happens, I begin to realize patterns and actually learn the moves. However, there is only enough time to learn a couple moves and to be able to actually use them to kill other players. My opponents very quickly notice the repetition of maybe 3 moves and easily counter them because they can anticipate my attempts. If I had enough room in my brain to calculate the Nash equilibrium of every move, as the other players do subconsciously, I would see that I am trying to optimize my choices by only changing my own decisions without considering those of my opponents. This is a mistake in a Nash equilibrium, which describes the best strategy in response to those of your opponents.

Also, this is a very helpful link in examining the Nash equilibrium from a different perspective.

Brooke Stanislawski

Back to top Go down